Thursday, August 5, 2010

We're pregnant!!!!

Our BabyMoon

On February 17th at 12:30pm my Fertility nurse called me to say that our 4th cycle had worked!!!  We were pregnant!!! I literally could not believe it.  Even after our first ultrasound at 7 1/2 weeks where we discovered we were having twins, I still couldn't believe it.  Even through all the morning sickness it seemed more like I kept eating something bad than actually having morning sickness!  Somewhere around my 3rd month I started showing more, clothes stopped fitting and it became a little more real.
We ordered the nursery furniture, decided to go on a "babymoon" on a Royal Caribbean Mexican Rivera Cruise and really enjoyed my growing bump.  Aside from the morning sickness, flu in my second trimester, kidney stones, carpel tunnel, acid reflux and early swelling in my feet and hands, this pregnancy was going very well!! :)
At 16 weeks we found out that we were having a boy and girl.  Our girl was always curled up so she was harder to confirm, but after a few more ultrasounds, around 24 weeks the Dr's were confident, she was a girl.  We immediately picked names without much hesitation.  McKinley Grace and Brooks Anthony.
The Dr's had always been a bit concerned about McKinley during the ultrasounds because she never really moved to give them a good view of her right side.  They had discovered that she had a 2 vessel umbilical cord early on.  They warned us that this could be an indication of a heart defect, but that the chances were less than 1%.  A few weeks later they also discovered a velamentous cord insertion, meaning that her umbilical cord inserted into the side of the placenta rather than in the middle.  This meant that McKinley would automatically get less nutrients than Brooks, so I was put on a strict diet of drinking 160g of protein daily (in supplements/shakes) in addition to any other protein that I could get.  She also runs a risk of early term labor, so they wanted me to bulk her up as much as possible.  They also put me on "princess mode" which is not bedrest but very close to.  Just as we had learned to adjust to this new news about our baby girl our whole world was flipped upside down....

No comments:

Post a Comment