Thursday, June 9, 2011

To blog or to sleep...

McKinley going for a stroller ride around the hospital!
....that is the question. I'm sorry it's taking me so many days in between blog updates. I've been choosing sleeping over blogging since it seems that the longest stretch of sleep I'm able to catch is about 2 to 3 hours at a time lately. Hopefully you don't run into me in the next few days, I'm looking a bit like a scary zombie! But thank you so much for patiently waiting and for wanting to be updated in the first place! But enough about me :)  McKinley is doing great!  Unfortunately she didn't go home yesterday like we had hoped. Dr Healey told us to not expect to go home before Monday, so I'm hoping that Monday is the day.  Any longer and we will have been here for over 2 weeks.  The reason they want us to stay longer is because they are monitoring McKinley very closely to be sure that she can maintain her goal feeds and fluid level requirements.  So far she's been doing really good.  She had her drains and catheters taken out on Monday and we're hoping that her IV's might come out tomorrow.  We tried to use her new GTube on Monday night and that was too soon for her. It was extremely painful and she sure let us know it! So, we might give it another try tomorrow, we'll see. We had to give her some extra doses of her narcotics after that incident but since then she's been able to control her pain on just Tylenol and occasional benadryl when her stitches itch.  In the mean time, we are starting to be able to hold her more, play more and even go on stroller rides around the hospital.  She seems happiest when she can get out of her room.
Today she was fitted for a helmet.  She's going to need to wear the helmet until she's about 13 months old. We're not really looking forward to that. I pray that she adjusts to it well and after a short time doesn't even notice it's on her head!
So many people have come in to talk to us about whether or not we have people supporting us at home.  Social workers, Dr's, nurses, everyone wants to make sure we have a support system. Its so great for me to be able to tell them what an immense support system we have. We are SO blessed! This week alone we have had meals from Jen, Katie, Michelle, Claire, Kendra, Jenn, Apryl, Kristin... childcare help with Brooks from Teresa, Paula, Linda... Social support from so many including Pat and Linz.... Thank you to everyone!  I know there's people I haven't mentioned, I'm so sorry, my brain is functioning at about 1/2 capacity right now. :) You are what makes this possible for us. Your prayers, your support, we love you all very much!  I hope to be updating you very soon that McKinley is home again!

No comments:

Post a Comment