Sunday, September 19, 2010

Huge Miracles

Brooks Anthony Miller born September 8th, 2010 3:25pm
After the babies were born they were quickly whisked away to the NICU. About an hour or so later as I was back in my room trying to recover from my c-section, Tony came to tell me that McKinley was going to be going to Children's right away.  Originally we had been told that she would be transferred within 24 hours of her delivery so this was unexpected.  He then leaned over and with tears in his eyes began to explain that in addition to the problems that we had already discussed McKinley having, she was born with a Imperforate Anus and some other "plumbing issues" down below. Within the hour McKinley was packed up and on her way to Children's, her first car ride just hours after she was born, and she was leaving mommy and daddy already. On her way out the ambulance team brought her by my room so that I could hold her for the first time.  What an amazing moment that was.  With her beautiful long blonde hair and deep blue eyes, I was instantly in love.  Tony gave me a quick kiss goodbye and hopped on the road to be with his new daughter, leaving me more determined than ever to be the quickest c-section healer ever so that I could go see my new son, Brooks!
Later that evening Tony called with some MIRACULOUS news.  McKinley did not have the heart issue that was originally thought.  I repeat, McKinley's interrupted aortic arch and ventricular septal defect were GONE!  Immediately when she got to Children's they started an echocardiogram on her.  What was supposed to be a 45 minute procedure turned into a 5 hour procedure.  As you can imagine, Dad was more than nervous that it was taking so long.  But when they came out they simply could not explain what they had found.  What was clearly on the in-utero ultrasounds was not there.  There was no explanation, it was basically impossible for this to happen.  Which is why they spent 5 hours doing the echo!  All they could find was an aorta that curved the opposite way that it should.  The only thing this might effect is that later in life as the aorta gets bigger it may bump into the trachia causing McKinley to have a bit of a rattle/raspy-ness when she talks, but would not require any surgery.  I repeat, NO HEART SURGERY!!!!!!!!!  God is not just good, he is AWESOME!  They immediately took McKinley off of the drug they had put her on to keep her heart functioning with the IA and VSD because she no longer needed it.  They set her up in the NICU and explored her a bit further.  Unfortunately she did end up going to surgery the next day to have a colostomy bag put in for her imperforate anus, but she came out of that just fine.  Tony spent the next few days with her as she was getting morphine for the pain from surgery.  He said they read Hunting Magazines and cried together.  It's a good thing Mom wasn't there because I'm confident I would have been an absolute mess seeing my baby girl in pain like that;.  Meanwhile at Evergreen, just 6 hours after surgery I was out of my bed, in a wheel chair and on my way to see Brooks.  The most precious sight I have ever seen (in addition to McKinley of course  ).
Brooks was doing great.  They had put a feeding tube in and slowly started feeding him, 3 cc's every 3 hours.  He was so tiny, but I could tell he was going to be a strong boy.  It was amazing to be able to hold a child that I never thought I would be able to have.  7 years later and my prayers had been answered, times 2!

3 comments:

  1. I so appreciate your updates. Your sweet daughter is a testimony to the fact that God does work miracles. So glad that Brooks is also doing well. I can't imagine your joy at holding both your precious children. Still sending lots of love and prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen- there are simply no words for your story. I love your babies already! Congratulations and I am truly moved that all of our prayers have been answered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing testimony to the power of prayer! I get chills just reading how God healed her heart. I will keep praying for their health and your recovery from a CRAZY childbirth experience. I know you are surrounded by lots of friends and family who love you, but please let me know if there is anything else you need. Much love to the Miller Family!

    ReplyDelete